Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hello 50s Floor, Goodbye 50s Cabinet

Today I have been removing the final traces of paint, tile glue and lino glue from the kitchen floor tiles.  Hot work even before you factor in today's ridiculously windless hot weather.  I have also made a discovery that I did not make before simply because of lack of observation.  In addition to the original 50s red clay tiles (or whatever they are made of) covering the floor, there is also a strip of them around the bottom of the kitchen wall - like a skirting board.

And that discovery led to the discovery of the same in the loo room (though not in the bathroom, where there is a double layer of tiles hiding anything that might have been original).

I'd add pics of the kitchen floor, but Husband Features has spent the day drilling holes in the walls in there and stripping out what was the only remaining 50s kitchen cabinet we had in there.  This has caused a certain amount of argument - I'd rather have kept it and think it's a terrible thing to have taken it out, he just thought the cabinet to be terrible.  

It has been a source of many discussions - I'd have liked a whole 50s style flat, he is not keen on anything that is not modern.  He had removed the door and shelves for the cabinet shortly after we got the flat and while I'd been at work and unable to stop him.

I feel really sad to see it go.  But without the doors and shelves (which he'd also taken straight to the skip before I'd got in the flat) there was not much point in keeping it.

I have used the paint and varnish stripper on the skirting tiles - however the paint is so thick that I'm having to recoat it.  It looks like it's going to he a long job.

No comments: